Alcopops and clear beers are special malt-based beverages that are produced using activated carbon to decolourise beer. It is typically a process that utilises powder activated carbon (PAC), but there are cases where granular activated carbon is used.
Activated carbon is a well-known technology used to produce alcopops and clear beers.
Powder activated carbon treatment is often used to remove colour, as well as some taste and odour components, to produce alcopops and clear beers. Granular activated carbon (GAC) is also used in mobile adsorbers to produce colourless and transparent clear beer and alcopops.
The use of granular activated carbon compared to powder activated carbon will result in several advantages, including:
- A reduction of the activated carbon consumption (Granular activated carbon (GAC) consumption is usually less than 30% of powdered activated carbon (PAC) consumption)
- Granular activated carbon (GAC) loading is higher compared to the use of powdered activated carbon (PAC)
- No activated carbon overdosing by operators to avoid off spec products
- Granular activated carbon (GAC) deals better with process fluctuations
- Lower product (beer) losses:
- Lower carbon consumption means lower volume of pores with product
- Reactivation has more than five times less CO₂ emissions compared to the production of virgin activated carbon
- Lower granular activated carbon (GAC) consumption leads to lower CO₂ emissions during its production compared to powdered activated carbon (PAC)
- Lower handling costs
- Lower maintenance costs
ALCOPOPS AND CLEAR BEERS: MOBILE FILTERS
The AquaFlow™ V2 mobile adsorbers are designed and built for use in thin the production of Alcopops and clear beers. The filtration unit is a combined transport vessel and adsorption system delivered, prefilled with selected adsorbent media, to ensure cost effective purification results. The granular activated carbon arrives in a closed container ready for use and the plant operators do not come in contact with either the fresh or saturated product.
ALCOPOPS AND CLEAR BEERS: SOLUTIONS
Auxiliary equipment and additional services
In addition to mobile filters and different media, Jacobi Services also offers various items of auxiliary equipment and additional services, including:
Application specialists within the international Jacobi Service team can provide start-up assistance.
Assistance with the selection of the type and number of AquaFlow™ filters. The selection depends on the flowrate and the estimated annual activated carbon consumption.
ALCOPOPS AND CLEAR BEERS: PRODUCTS
ColorSorb™ L is a granular activated carbon, that is effective for decolourising a wide range of liquids, including foodstuffs and industrial process streams. The manufacturing process develops an extremely high pore volume and internal surface area, which permits the adsorption of both medium to high molecular weight compounds, including colours and complex organic material. The product meets the requirements of the Food Chemical Codex.
ColorSorb™ G9 is a powdered activated carbon, that is effective for decolourising a wide range of lightly discoloured liquids, including foodstuffs and industrial process streams where processing at a low pH is necessary. This grade of activated carbon has a predominantly mesoporous structure for efficient adsorption of light colour bodies and trace organic compounds. The powdered particle size distribution of ColorSorb™ G9 is carefully controlled to ensure efficient adsorption kinetics and maintain high filterability characteristics. The product meets the requirements of the Food Chemical Codex.
GET IN TOUCH
Fill out the short form below and or team will be in touch.